Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by Derf
Delicious!! we had a craving for some kinda beans, I chose this one cus I happened to have some Swiss chard in the fridge, used it instead of the spinach. i used one can of white and one can of red kidney beans, also used turkey sausage and added quite a bit of pepper to liven it up. My thyme has come up in the garden so I was able to use fresh. We loved it and will keep this one in my hard copy!! thanks for posting.
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage or 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage, bias-sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (19 ounce) cans white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 cups torn escarole or 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, cook sausage and onion over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is tender; drain.
- Add in beans, chicken broth, wine, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in escarole; heat through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Ladle into individual bowls; sprinkle w/ Parmesan cheese.