Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage or 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage, bias-sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (19 ounce) cans white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 cups torn escarole or 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, cook sausage and onion over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is tender; drain.
- Add in beans, chicken broth, wine, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in escarole; heat through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Ladle into individual bowls; sprinkle w/ Parmesan cheese.
Delicious!! we had a craving for some kinda beans, I chose this one cus I happened to have some Swiss chard in the fridge, used it instead of the spinach. i used one can of white and one can of red kidney beans, also used turkey sausage and added quite a bit of pepper to liven it up. My thyme has come up in the garden so I was able to use fresh. We loved it and will keep this one in my hard copy!! thanks for posting.
I'm not sure why someone rated this only 3, but this was very good. It's a great week-night dinner that is easy to fix. I suggest adding in about 1 tablespoon of Mrs Dash Original seasoning - no salt due to the sausage, chick broth, and canned beans. I did end up using the spinach instead of escarole. Publix didn't have any. The thyme in it was great. Thanks for posting a keeper.
Very hearty winter meal