Recipe by Eric N. Frankel
A very hearty, high fiber meal.
Top Review by Ms B.
I really liked the flavor of this soup. The beans added an extra 'heartiness' that seemed to be lacking in the pasta versions of sausage soup. I used sweet Italian sausage and roasted garlic (left over from another recipe). Another change that I made was to sub cannellini beans for the black beans (I thought I had black in the pantry, but...?). I added a handful of baby spinach and a dash of balsamic vinegar, as well. If I would have had some zucchini, I would have added slices of that, as well. My husband loved this served with crusty bread for an easy Sunday night supper. I will be making this again.
- 340.19 g polska kielbasa
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 bulb of garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 425.24 g can butter beans
- 425.24 g can black beans
- 425.24 g can red kidney beans (light or dark)
- 425.24 g can whole kernel corn
- 432.33 g can carrots (sliced)
- 411.06 g can beef broth
- 14.79 ml fresh basil (minced) (optional) or 4.92 ml dried basil (optional)
- 29.58 ml parmesan cheese (shredded) (optional)
- 14.79 ml coarse sea salt (ground)
- 14.79 ml five-pepper medley (ground)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put corn, carrots, and beans in a strainer, rinse well and set aside.
- Cut sausage once lengthwise, then crosswise into approximately 1/2" pieces.
- In a large saucepan on a medium heat, add sausage, stir until it "sweats", then add onion and saute until both are lightly charred.
- Add garlic and stir until light brown.
- Add beans, corn, carrots, broth, basil, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan Cheese.
- Can be served over rice, if desired.