Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A very hearty, high fiber meal.
Make and share this Sausage Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage, onion and garlic until the sausage is browned.
- Add beans, tomatoes, broth, basil, salt and pepper (if desired).
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan Cheese.
I really liked the flavor of this soup. The beans added an extra 'heartiness' that seemed to be lacking in the pasta versions of sausage soup. I used sweet Italian sausage and roasted garlic (left over from another recipe). Another change that I made was to sub cannellini beans for the black beans (I thought I had black in the pantry, but...?). I added a handful of baby spinach and a dash of balsamic vinegar, as well. If I would have had some zucchini, I would have added slices of that, as well. My husband loved this served with crusty bread for an easy Sunday night supper. I will be making this again.
I made this according to recipe as I adopted chef Eric Frankel for the Spring Pac 2013 game.This is really hearty, It's great as a cold weather meal. I served it with a slice of Fit for Life's "Genesis" Bread. This recipe could be tweaked according to what meat and beans you have on hand,but.... prepared as written it's 5 stars good ! Thanks for posting a healthy fiber filled soup recipe.
I make something very similar all winter--very hearty, very tasty! We make corn bread and serve this in deep bowls over the bread for a great taste combination and to soak up the broth.