Recipe by *Parsley*
I use sweet sausage, but if you like things hot, use a spicy sausage. I always drain off the fat very well after browning it.
Top Review by tasb
I liked this soup. I made it last night. I did use less sausage, because I didn't want to open another pack. And I used black eyed peas for the beans. I used canned tomatoes with italian seasoning but still added the herbs called for.
- 453.59 g ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 118.29 ml diced celery
- 118.29 ml diced carrot
- 118.29 ml diced bell pepper, red, green whatever
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes, do NOT drain
- 709.77-946.36 ml beef broth, depending how liquidy you like it
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml oregano
- 2.46 ml basil
- 2.46 ml thyme
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 538.64 g cannellini beans, rinse and drain, Progresso makes 19 oz size
- salt, as needed to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, brown the sausage with the onion, breaking up the sausage as it cooks. Drain off fat and rinse and drain again well.
- Return cooked drained sausage and onions to pot.
- Add the garlic, celery, carrots, bell pepper, undrained tomatoes, beef broth, sugar, oregano, basil, thyme, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and gently simmer for 20-25 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Stir in the rinsed and drained cannellini beans. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until heated through.
- Add salt, if needed, to taste.