1/4 Photos of Sausage Bean Soup
I use sweet sausage, but if you like things hot, use a spicy sausage. I always drain off the fat very well after browning it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper, red, green whatever
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, do NOT drain
- 3 -4 cups beef broth, depending how liquidy you like it
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) cannellini beans, rinse and drain, Progresso makes 19 oz size
- salt, as needed to taste
- 1In a large soup pot, brown the sausage with the onion, breaking up the sausage as it cooks. Drain off fat and rinse and drain again well.
- 2Return cooked drained sausage and onions to pot.
- 3Add the garlic, celery, carrots, bell pepper, undrained tomatoes, beef broth, sugar, oregano, basil, thyme, and pepper.
- 4Bring to a boil; reduce heat and gently simmer for 20-25 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- 5Stir in the rinsed and drained cannellini beans. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until heated through.
- 6Add salt, if needed, to taste.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.4
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 22.7 mg
- Sodium 451.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 21.4 g