Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 (1 lb) package speckled butterbeans
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- Prepare beans according to package directions.
- Cook sausage in skillet until brown; add remaining ingredients except beans.
- Continue cooking vegetables until tender.
- Add beans and cook until bubbly hot.
The sausage that I used was a "Honey - Garlic" type of Bratwurst, instead of Tomato Sauce I used hot salsa and the beans were canned Lima beans. The outcome was fabulous. I have a profusion of tomatoes and peppers in the garden so it was great to work them into this recipe.Although I did make some substitutions I feel they were within the realm of this recipe and did not constitute significant change in the intent of the original recipe. I have put two serving portions into containers to freeze and will add to this review when I reheat the frozen version. Thanks foxjen for a very tasty recipe — posted Aug 27, 2004 Added comments: I defrosted a serving in the fridge, reheated it over med low heat in a skillet and it was as good if not better after freezine
Delicious easy meal. I used 2 tins (400g) of chopped tomatoes instead of fresh. This will be one I make a lot! Thanks.