Recipe by Julie B's Hive
This casserole is high in protein and full of flavor. I like to double the sauce ingredients. This dish is special enough to make an appearance twice a year at family gatherings, on the fourth of July and our Christmas buffet table.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 3 (19 ounce) cans baked beans
- 3 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb smoked ham, but in 1/2 in. cubes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook lima beans as directed on package and turn into a 4-quart bean pot or casserole. Add baked beans and kidney beans.
- In a covered skillet, simmer sausages in 1/2 cup water until water has evaporated; panfry sausages until brown on all sides. Cut each sausage into bite-size chunks and add with ham to beans.
- Stir together remaining ingredients; pour over casserole. Gently mix all ingredients.
- Bake uncovered 1 hour.