Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe to freeze and heat in microwave for teens. This has cornmeal in the beans as well as spices and green chiles. When wrapping, you add either sour cream or cream cheese before the sausage bean mixture, then the shredded cheese and freeze. An option: add some scrambled eggs before the cheese if you want these for breakfast.
- 1 lb ground sausage, cooked
- 5 tablespoons dried onion, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans refried beans (optional)
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mild green chilies or 2 (4 ounce) cans hot green chili peppers
- 6 tablespoons ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, for each burrito
- 1 tablespoon sour cream or 1 tablespoon cream cheese, for each burrito
- 20 -24 corn tortillas or 20 -24 flour tortillas
- Cook the sausage and break apart,when almost cooked add the onions and the water, turn the heat to low and simmer about 5 minutes until water is absorbed and onions tender and cooked. Set aside. Do not drain the grease.
- Mash beans in a 2 quart baking container with the juice.
- Add the sausage and onions and liquid from the pan.
- Add the chilies with juice and cornmeal.
- Add the spices and stir in until mixed well.
- Preheat oven 375*.
- Cover dish and bake 25 minutes.
- Uncover and take spatula and go around the sides of dish and mix in baked crust.
- that is on the sides. Cool. This will set up.
- Put a damp towel in the microwave and heat 4- 5 tortillas, corn or flour at a time.
- Assemble line the warm tortillas.
- Spread cream cheese or sour cream. down the center. yOU MAY SPREAD AROUND AND COVER THE WHOLE TORTILLA IF YOU WISH.
- Then the cooled spiced sausage bean mixture on lower 3rd. Do not overload.
- Then top with cheese.
- Tuck ends in and roll up. Seam side down.
- I place in a 9 X13 pan until I get all of the burritos completed. Sometime I put a large sheet of waxed paper on top of the row of burritos in the pan, layer the next row and freeze. Then I take out and repackage. Your method of choice.
- Double plastic bag each one or place waxed paper between each burrito and fill large freeze bags with burritos.
- To microwave take burrito out of freezer bag, set microwave on 2 minutes at 80% power for 1200 watt microwave. Try it on 1 minute incraments, all microwaves heat differently.