Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a christmas favorite with my family! It came from a Jimmy Dean recipe that I've adapted to our tastes. Tastes great with mexican shredded cheese! This can be as mild or hot and spicy as you desire.
- 2 (1 lb) packages ground sausage
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix or 2 cups pancake mix
- 1 (16 ounce) packageshredded cheese (I prefer Mexican blend cheese)
- 1 -2 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence, according to taste
- Defrost sausage.
- Mix sausage, bisquick, shredded cheese and essence well.
- form into balls.
- bake in 350 oven 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- *You may add more essence according to taste.
- If you want a really hot sausage ball, use hot sausage and add essence as desired.
I made this and took half the results to a pot-luck (my first pot-luck contribution ever) and it got some raves. I left the last few with the hostess, who also asked for the recipe. I made it pretty much as written, but using "Mexican style four-cheese blend" as suggested, and only 1T. of the Essence. I did cook them for 20 minutes, though, as they didn't quite look ready at 15. After taking them out of the baking dish, I let them drain on paper towels. These can't be very healthy, and are fairly greasy, but still quite tasty. I described them to someone as tasting kind of like those breakfast sausage biscuits, except in a handy meatball form. I think I'll make them again sometime.