Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A curious combination of smoke sausage and apples. Don't give out the "Secret" ingredient and keep um guessing.
- 2 lbs smoked mild Italian sausage (thinly sliced)
- 2 medium apples (Juliann cut)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed (The "secret ingredient")
- Combine all ingredients in a large non-stick skillet.
- Saute' over medium heat until slightly browned.
- Don't over do it or the apples get mushy.
- Serve immediately.
We recently picked a peck of apples at a nearby orchard, so I have been looking for new apple recipes to try. I usually think of desserts when it comes to apples, so this savory recipe caught my eye. To be honest, I didn't think I was going to like this as it began cooking, but I turned out to be surprised by the pleasant pairing of apples and sausage. My DH also said that he liked the 'sauce' in the dish. I served it with brown rice. This will be one that I will make again. It may not be a new fave, but it will make the rotation as a good fall stand by.