Recipe by .:*pastry_princess*:.
This is my mothers recipe for our Thanksgiving stuffing. It has never failed us. Everyone loves it, and because of that we usually make 3-4. I have never come across any other stuffing recipe that I enjoy more than this. I know you will love it too! <3
- 10 slices bacon, diced (6 ounces)
- 1 lb pork sausage (jimmy dean breakfast sausage is best)
- 2 large onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 8 ounces mediem-size mushrooms, sliced (2 cups)
- 3 medium celery ribs, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb tart apple, cored and cut in 1/2-inch peices (3 cups)
- 1 loaf day-old white bread, cut in 1/2-inch cubes (10 cups)
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄4-1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix bread and parsley in a large poy or bowl.
- Cook bacon in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- When bacon is browned , crumble in sausage. cook, stirring 2 or 3 times, until sausage loses its pink color.
- Add remaining ingredients except chicken broth and bread mixture to skillet.
- Cook 5 to 7 minutes until apples and celery are crisp-tender, stirring twice.
- Add to bread mixture; toss to mix, then add broth.
- Grease a 3-quart casserole.
- Transfer stuffing to prepared casserole and bake 35 to 40 minutes until top is lightly browned.