Recipe by Wigglesworth
I threw this together on one of those "I wonder what's in the fridge" nights, and it's now one of my favorite dinners. We have it a few times a month. I love the blend of sweet and spicy sauce with the fresh taste of the peppers and the tartness of the apple. I've found that the apple makes or breaks the dish. Make sure you use a firm apple with bold flavor. If you use a mushy or mild flavored apple you'll probably find yourself spitting it out.
- 1 lb smoked turkey sausage, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- hot pepper sauce (I like Frank's)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sausage, garlic, pepper, and oil in a large skillet and saute on high heat for 3-5 minutes or till the sausage is slightly browned.
- Add the green and red pepper, apple, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, and hot pepper sauce. Continue cooking on high 3-5 minutes or until peppers are just cooked. Do not overcook, or the peppers will lose their crunch and flavor.
- Serve over rice.