Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A breakfast meat loaf.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bulk sausage (well seasoned)
- 1 cup grated apple
- 2⁄3 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°; warm the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion to the skillet; stir/saute 5 minutes until very soft.
- Scrape the onion into a big mixing bowl; let cool briefly.
- Add 1 tablepoon maple syrup and remaining ingredients to the bowl; mix well.
- Pack the mixture into a loaf pan (9-inch), mounding it a bit in the center; brush the remaining maple syrup over it.
- Bake about 1 hour until the loaf is well browned with an internal temperature of 165 to 170°.
- Pour off the accumulated grease and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into slices and serving.