Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just in time for the holidays!
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed whole wheat bread, toasted
- 3 3⁄4 cups cubed white bread, toasted
- 1 lb turkey sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 golden delicious apple, cored and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 cooked turkey liver, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup turkey broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Place the white and whole wheat bread cubes in a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage and onions over medium heat, stirring and breaking up the lumps until evenly browned.
- Add the celery, sage, rosemary, and thyme; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend flavors.
- Pour sausage mixture over bread.
- Mix in chopped apples, dried cranberries, parsley, and liver.
- Drizzle with turkey stock and melted butter and mix lightly.
- Spoon into turkey and bake according to your turkey directions.
- Alternatively, you can spoon into a casserole dish and heat at 350 degrees until heated through and lightly browned.
I made this recipe for the first time in 2007 and have been making it ever since. My family loves this recipe. It has become a Thanksgiving tradition in our home.
This recipe is from AllRecipes and is a 10-star recipes! There's a million people on AllRecipes that have given feedback on this and with their changes, I don't think you'll find a better stuffing! I use white bread instead of wheat, and sour dough bread instead of white bread. I use 2 hot turkey italian sausages and 1/2 lb Jimmy Dean hot breakfast sausage rather than ground turkey sausage. Fresh spices are MANDATORY for the best outcome so we use fresh sage, rosemary and thyme (made it with dried and NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD). I use 1 granny smith apple and use turkey stock rather than turkey broth and follow the rest of this recipe as stated. TO DIE FOR! A MUST TRY!