Recipe by juniperwoman
This is the first Weight Watchers recipe I've used, and, boy, am I glad I did! The stew is SO tasty and easy. Even better, the recipe can be modified according to what you have on hand. For instance, I used spinach instead of broccoli rabe and a small white onion since in the place of the red, and instead of the Italian sausage, I used kielbasa. I also added lots of red pepper flakes and some cayenne, too. So have fun with this recipe! I can hardly wait to hear what you think of it.
Top Review by ClarkeCC
I don't understand the negative reviews. Paired with a fresh baguette, this is a delicious stew, that is perfect for a simple, clean meal, that is ready to eat within an hour of walking in the door. I used about 10 oz of fresh spinach and about 8 oz of arugula. I also added about two teaspoons of herbs de Provence and a few dashes of cayenne. Not a recipe thats lights off fireworks, but a definite 5 stars for a cold evening. A definite keeper on my never-fail list of recipes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 1 red onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crumbled
- salt, to taste (use seasoned salt if you like)
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, cleaned and coarsely chopped or 1 bunch spinach or 1 bunch kale
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a stockpot or large nonstick skillet, heat the oil.
- Crumble the sausage into the skillet, and cook, breaking apart with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 8 minutes. (NOTE: If you're using kielbasa, just saute briefly until it browns).
- Add the onion, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper, stirring as needed, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli rabe, tomatoes and beans; cook until the broccoli rabe is wilted, about five minutes. (If you're using fresh spinach, it will wilt! I promise.
- Just cover it with the bean and sausage mixture and let it cook for about 5 minutes).
- Top with cheese if desired and serve.