With the cold weather upon us, time to haul out the old soup pot. Taken from Pam Anderson's "Cook Smart" column in the "Weekend USA" magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet Italian sausage links or 1 1/2 lbs hot Italian sausage, in the casing
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto ham, minced
- 2 medium onions, in medium dice
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and in medium dice
- 2 medium celery ribs, in medium dice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 (15 7/8 ounce) cans great northern beans or 3 (15 7/8 ounce) cans other white beans, undrained
- 1 quart chicken broth (carton or can)
- 1Heat oil in a large, deep saute pan or soup kettle over medium-high heat.
- 2When pan is hot, add sausages, cook, turning once or twice, until well-browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- 3(Sausage will not be fully cooked at this point.) Remove from the pan.
- 4When cool enough to handle, cut into slices 1/4-inch thick.
- 5Add prosciutto, onions, carrots, celery and thyme to the empty skillet, cook, stirring often, until well browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 6In a small bowl one can of beans with a fork into a chunky puree.
- 7Add broth, whole and mashed beans, and sausage; cover and bring to a simmer.
- 8Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer, partially covered to blend flavors, 20 minutes.
- 9Let rest 10 minutes; serve.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and White Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.8
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 48.5 mg
- Sodium 1423.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 30.1 g