1/1 Photo of Sausage and Vegetable Risotto
Johnsonville Sausage's Note:
Courtesy of Johnsonville Sausage
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1242.09 ml chicken stock (42 oz.)
- 3 sprig fresh herbs (Basil, oregano or thyme)
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 538.64 g package Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausages (casings removed)
- 473.18 ml white button mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 473.18 ml arborio rice or 473.18 ml medium grain risotto rice
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 226.79 g asparagus, stemmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 118.29 ml peas (fresh shelled or frozen)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 78.07 ml shredded parmesan cheese
- parmesan cheese, for garnish (Shaved or shredded)
- 1Pour the stock into a sauce pan, if using fresh herbs, add them to the stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover until ready to use.
- 2In a large sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat, add onion and sauté until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the sausages, using a wooden spoon, break up the sausage as it cooks into bite size pieces until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Mix in the rice and cook, stirring until the kernels are hot and coated with oil; about another 2 minutes. Add the wine and stir continuously until the liquid is absorbed.
- 3Using a ladle, add the hot stock about ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly and making sure the stock has been absorbed before adding more to the rice. Continue adding ½ cup of stock and stirring rice constantly and gently. When the rice is about half cooked or only 1½ cups of the stock remains add the asparagus pieces into the rice and continue stirring. When you have about 1 cup of liquid left, stir the peas into the rice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue stirring. The risotto is done when the rice grains are creamy on the outside and firm yet tender to the bite, (about 20-25 minutes total).
- 4When the risotto is just right, remove it from the heat and stir in the shredded parmesan cheese. Spoon into large soup bowls, top with shaved parmesan and serve immediately.
- 5*Rice varies, so you may not need all the stock or you may need more. If more liquid is required you can add simmering water in place of extra broth. You should taste for doneness along the way.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Vegetable Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.8
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 11.1 mg
- Sodium 394.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 14.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausages