Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This phenomenal soup recipe gives your mouth an exquisite variety of textures and flavors. Cheese tortellini is added to a delicate beef consommé. A blend of veggies, herbs and spices only add to the mouth-watering appeal of this dish. Once you add the Johnsonville Smoked Sausage, this soup goes from heavenly to absolutely divine.
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) package Johnsonville Three Cheese Sausage or Smoked Sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- grated parmesan cheese
- On a cutting board, cut sausage links lengthwise into fourths, and then dice; set aside.
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, sauté onions, carrots and garlic in oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add sausage, cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, consommé, water, parsley, basil and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add zucchini and tortellini; simmer 10 minutes longer or until pasta is tender.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.