1 hr 20 mins
Raquel Grinnell's Note:
Brimming with andouille sausage, Swiss chard and white beans, this hearty soup is the perfect cool-weather dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs andouille chicken sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, white portion only, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock, warmed
- 1 cup water, warmed
- 2 cups white beans, cooked and drained (or canned)
- 4 ounces swiss chard, stems removed, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (for garnish) (optional)
- 1In a small saucepan over medium heat, boil the wine until reduced to 1/2 cup, 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- 2In a soup pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and let cool, then cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices.
- 3In the same pot over medium-low heat, cook the onion, celery, carrot and leek, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes more. Add the reduced wine, the stock and water, increase the heat to medium-high and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the sausage, white beans and chard and cook until the chard wilts, 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, and garnish with the cheese. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chard Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chard Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Swiss Chard Soup
Serving Size: 1 (663 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.1
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 412.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 13.3 g