Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have enjoyed Swiss Chard, but never saw it magically disappear into a recipe until I tried this one, from Canadian Living Nov 2009. I am putting my version here for safekeeping.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup grape tomatoes (optional -- I used yellow)
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, rinsed (I used pinto)
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 10 cups swiss chard, chopped (stems too!)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In large skillet, heat oil over med-hi heat; brown sausages, breaking up with spoon, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and hot pepper flakes; cook 2 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes, basil, salt and sugar; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in beans.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted water until still firm in center. Drain, reserving 1/2 c cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot with reserved liquid, sauce and chard; toss to coat. Transfer to baking dish (9x13).
- Sprinkle with cheeses; cover with greased foil.
- Bake in 375 oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake about 10 more minutes or until bubbly and brown.