1/1 Photo of Sausage and Sweet Potato Chowder
Nice soup for a brisk fall day. I usually use spicy lowfat ground turkey sausage, but if you don't mind the fat (most gets drained off), use regular pork.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground lean turkey sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved into
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1In a soup pot, brown and crumble the sausage with the onion and celery. Cook until no longer pink. Drain off excess fat and return the mixture to the pot.
- 2Add to the pot the garlic, broth, sweet potatoes, corn, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- 3Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- 4Add the fat free half and half and stir until heated through.
- 5Mix/shake together the cornstarch and milk; stir into the soup.
- 6When heated through, stir in the cheese, but do not allow to boil.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Sweet Potato Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.0
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 32.4 mg
- Sodium 802.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lean turkey sausage