Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this up one day and it's the easiest thing to make, but everyone seems to really like it. I used Emeril's Chicken and Apple Sausage but you can really use whatever kind you want.
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 lbs sausage (any is fine but Emeril's Chicken and apple is what I use)
- 1 onion
- 1 apple
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Leave peels on sweet potatoes and chop them and apple, onion and sausage into bite sized chunks.
- Place potatoes, onions and apples into ziploc bag.
- Pour in olive oil and all seasoning (more or less of these taste.).
- Shake bag until everything is coated well.
- Pour into 13x9 in pan and toss with sausage.
- Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven for 1-1 1/2 hours until sausage is browned and potatoes are tender.
Easy to make casserole that is quite original in flavor. I added a bit of fresh ginger & only used 1 pound of mild Italian sausage.
I did not have enough time to follow the recipe as is so I used it as more of a guide. I put just the sausage (precooked) and apples with the seasoning in the oven at a higher temperature for a shorter time and cooked the sweet potatoes separately on the stove. Everyone loved it!
I used mild italian sausage with this and it's FABULOUS! I had my doubts but boy was I wrong. Even had some leftovers for breakfast today. Fixing it again soon, with some roasted crispy/tender broccoli on the side. Trying to figure out what other meats would be just as good with this.