Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love squash and zucchini, and when it's in season cooking it with the sausage is a delicious way to prepare and enjoy these vegetables. Served with some lightly toasted italian bread, it makes a great meal.
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup bottled Italian salad dressing
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces cooked Polish sausage, halved lengthwise, sliced diagonally
- 3 small summer squash or 3 small zucchini, cut across into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 -6 slices Italian bread, lightly toasted
- fresh oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat broiler.
- In a small bowl combine dressing and garlic.
- In an extra-large skillet cook sausage and squash in 2 tablespoons of the dressing mixture for 8 to 10 minutes or until sausage is heated through and squash is almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, toast Italian bread lightly; or if you prefer, you can place the bread slices on a broiler pan, brush with 1 tablespoon of the dressing mixture, and broil 3 to 4 inches from heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Serve sausage and squash with the toasted bread. Drizzle with any remaining dressing; sprinkle with oregano; top with a little parmesan cheese, if desired.
Who would think a recipe so simple and quick could be so tasty! I would never have thought of pairing smoked sausage with squash, but this was delicious. I didn't include the bread to reduce carbs, but still excellent with that modification
This was really good, I love onions so I added a sliced onion. Also I deglazed the pan with a little chicken stock since it was sticking. Fabulous!!
Both my husband and I really enjoyed this meal, it is so simple to make and the flavor is great. Never thought on sausage with summer squash but it is a great combo. Will definitely make again.