Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Quick and Simple soup. Pure comfort food. Serve with garlic bread.
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage (hot or mild)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) package cheese tortellini
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, cook and stir sausage and garlic until done. Drain.
- Add broth and tortellini; heat to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and tomatoes; simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with cheese.
This soup is GREAT! I use turkey sausage and keep it on the lighter side. The wheat tortellini is great in this as well. Originally found this recipe on Sparkpeople.com which has lighter recipes and couldn't find it today. So happy I stumbled across it here. Thank you for posting!!
Good soup! The only thing I changed was to cook the tortellini in a seperate pot. I hate when they soak up all the liquid.
This was very good. I added an extra cup of chicken broth and drained the tomatoes because we aren't overly fond of tomatoes. I added an extra handful of Italian seasonings to make up for what was lost in the juice. I also only used one 6 ounce bag of baby spinach and that seemed to be plenty. One change I would make for next time is to only cook the tortellini for the time recommended on the package, adding the spinach and tomatoes about 5 minutes before they would be done. Doing it the way it was written resulted in the tortellini beginning to fall apart by the time the vegetables were cooked/heated. Otherwise, it was fabulous! I will definitely be making this again. :-)