Recipe by maisypjh
This is a variation on a standard breakfast casserole recipe. You can really use any combination of meat, vegetables, and cheese that you have on hand. This one came out really well! You can substitute frozen drained spinach for the sauteed fresh if that's easier.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, washed, stemmed, and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 9" square pan with a bit of butter.
- Add rest of butter to skillet. Saute onion for 2 minute on med heat, then add mushrooms and garlic. Cook and stir for 4 minutes, until mushrooms have begun to soften, and remove to a bowl.
- Add spinach to skillet and saute lightly, just for a minute or two. Drain by pressing a spatula against the spinach.
- To assemble, layer half of sausage in baking dish. Top with 1/3 of cheese. Add mushroom mixture, then 1/3 of cheese. Add spinach, then rest of cheese, then rest of sausage.
- Beat eggs with cream and seasonings. Pour over other ingredients.
- Casserole can be refrigerated overnight at this point.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, until center is set. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting.