Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
An easy soup found on a blog site.
Make and share this Sausage and Spaghetti Squash Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 small spaghetti squash (about 3 pounds)
- 12 ounces mild Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium white onion, cut into small dice
- 10 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces Baby Spinach, washed
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red chili
- Using a sharp chef’s knife or cleaver, remove stem from squash. Peel tough outer skin and cut squash in half. Remove seeds and cut into large 2-inch-long pieces.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown. Add garlic and season with salt and pepper; cook about a minute more and then add sausage. Break sausage into small pieces and cook until browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add squash, season again with salt and pepper, chili and cook until squash becomes soft around the edges, about 6 minutes. Add wine and scrape up any browned bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pot. Add broth and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is soft, about 45 minutes.
- Using the back of a spoon, press squash against the side of the pot to break it up into pasta-like strands. Remove thyme stems; season with more salt and pepper to taste. Stir in spinach leaves and serve.
- Sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese.