Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
When I was a kid, I hated kraut. My mom popped it straight out of the can. Then I learned that I could make kraut that I could actually like. Come try some of my kraut. You'll like kraut too!
- 2 onions, sliced very thin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 lbs cold pack sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup apple juice (or apple cider)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 lbs smoked sausage, cut into 3 ",lengths
- Heat margarine in large pot over medium heat; add onions and saute until they are tender.
- Add sauerkraut, apple juice, water, caraway seed, salt, pepper, and brown sugar, mixing all ingredients thoroughly.
- Bring pot mixture to a boil; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add smoked sausage pieces to pot, and cook for 30-45 minutes more, simmering, and stirring occasionally, until sauerkraut is tender.
Yum!! Eating this dish brought back memories of meals I used to have with my German grandmother when I was young. The apple juice added just the right touch of sweetness. I made this as written except that I omitted the brown sugar. My husband doesn't like things too sweet, so leaving out the sugar worked perfectly. Also, I used turkey smoked sausage. This goes together very quickly and easily with very little effort. I served this with roasted carrots and a nice mug of cold beer...heaven!! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!! *Made for ZWT6 Xtra Hot Dishes*
Not a huge fan of sauerkraut, but actually crave it on occasion, since I am from German decent. LoL! I liked this very much. I had a couple of sad looking apples in the fridge, so added them to the kraut. I also didn't use the suggested sausage and subbed with smoked pork chops. :)