Recipe by SharonP
I cut this recipe out of a newspaper a long time ago...it is easy and very tasty...we love crockpot cooking
Top Review by Karen=^..^=
This was delicious! I used water instead of beer and used some salt and pepper, but other than that, I followed the recipe as posted. I used half turkey keilbasa and half regular and they both turned out very good. The sauerkraut had a very good flavor and the whole family was pleased with this dish. One thing to keep in mind: if you have a nuclear crock pot like I do (Rival 6 1/2 qt.), this will cook in about half the time...In 1 1/2 hours on high, this started to burn around the edges. I seem to have this problem with whatever crockpot recipe I try, so it must be my pot and not the recipes :) Thanks for sharing...I am going to use the low setting next time!
- 3 strips bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) cans sauerkraut
- 3 lbs Polish sausage, cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 small apples, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon until crisp; drain.
- Blend flour into bacon drippings.
- Stir in sauerkraut.
- Put sauerkraut mixture and bacon in slow electric cooker.
- Add all other ingredients; stir together thoroughly.
- Cover and cook on low 7 to 9 hours (or on high 3 to 4 hours).