Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Great summertime picnic dish, or winter time all-day casserole. The meat flavors the kraut, and the applesauce sweetens it. Great blend of flavors!! (I take a lot of liberty with the proportions of kraut, applesauce, etc. I just dump and mix, but this is as accurate as I can get. Just don't use too much onion.)
- 2 lbs smoked sausage (or 1 lb sausage, franks, or any sausage and 1 lb pork chops or ribs)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- Rinse and drain kraut.
- Combine with applesauce, flour, onion, and caraway.
- Layer sausage or pork with kraut mixture.
- Bake in tightly covered casserole at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
My husband who is not the biggest fan of sauerkraut REALLY loved this!!!! I used Gwaltney brand smoked Polish sausage and McIntosh apple sauce....the caraway seeds gave this a wonderful flavor....Thanks for a delicious (and easy) recipe!!!
Loved the combination of apple, caraway & onion with the sausage. I cut the recipe back so only cooked for 1 1/2 hours, used a special spicy bratwurst that our Dutch butcher makes and a transparent apple - Absolutely great flavor This will be a regular here Thanks papergoddess
We really liked this. I have tried to throw together variations on the sauerkraut/smoked sausage mixture, which have all been ok, but this really hit the spot. My husband had two helpings, a rarity at our house.