Prep 45 mins
Cook 55 mins
This layered pasta dish combines the wonderful zest of sausage with a heathly roasted pepper medley. Using added vegi's allows you to use less pasta and sausage. If you don't like spicy foods, substitute green or other colored bell peppers for the jalapeno and poblano peppers.
- 3 1⁄3 cups uncooked ziti pasta noodles (about 5 servings)
- 1⁄2 lb crumbled sausage (I used 3 Johnsonville HOT sausage brats, casings removed)
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (26 1/2 ounce) canhunts traditional spaghetti sauce (or your favorite tomato-based sauce)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1 medium yellow pepper
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 wedges of the Laughing Cow cheese, light french onion flavor
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook noodles in salted, boiling water, about 8 minutes. Be sure to slightly undercook noodles. Drain and set aside.
- Make tomato meat sauce: saute chopped onion for 5 minutes; add mushrooms and garlic, saute another 5 minutes. To onion mixture, add crumbled sausage and saute until sausage is no longer pink. Add tomato paste to sausage mixture, saute 1 minute. Add spaghetti sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, basil and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Cook sauce at least 20 minutes.
- Roast the pepper medley: Using a broiler, char peppers (jalapenos, poblanos, red and yellow peppers) on all sides, about 5 minutes per side. When skins have blackened, place peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow peppers to steam and cool. When cool enough to handle, remove skins from the peppers (skins should peel off easily with a paper towel or your hands). Remove stems, seed and chop peppers. Mix chopped peppers together in a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare cheese layer: In a bowl, combine softened cream cheese, flavored cheese wedges, sour cream, parsley, spinach and 1/2 cup of mozarella cheese. Stir in 1 teaspoon each salt and garlic powder.
- In a 9 x 13 inch pan, layer 1/3 of meat sauce, 1/2 of the noodles, all of the peppers and all of the cream cheese mixture. Top with 1/3 of meat sauce, 1/2 of the noodles. Cover the noodles with the remaining 1/3 of meat sauce and the remaining 1 1/2 cups of mozarella cheese. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of grated parmesan.
- Bake at 375 for 55 minutes for a very well-done cheesy crust.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes prior to serving. Makes 8-12 servings.
What an amazing recipe SavvyL. We really enjoyed this tasty sausage bake. It was excellent, the sauce was very flavorful, the sausage perfectly cooked and the noodles tender and cheesy. The cheese sauce was simply devine. I used hot sicilian sausage, lumache medie pasta, yellow & orange sweet bell pepper, 1 jajapeno and 1 hot chili pepper, 2 cloves garlic and no spinach. It was well worth the extra time and effort. I will be making this recipe again. Thanks for sharing this winner. Made for Spring Pac/2012.