1/2 Photos of Sausage and Roasted Peppers Pasta Bake
1 hr 40 mins
This layered pasta dish combines the wonderful zest of sausage with a heathly roasted pepper medley. Using added vegi's allows you to use less pasta and sausage. If you don't like spicy foods, substitute green or other colored bell peppers for the jalapeno and poblano peppers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/3 cups uncooked ziti pasta noodles (about 5 servings)
- 1/2 lb crumbled sausage (I used 3 Johnsonville HOT sausage brats, casings removed)
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (26 1/2 ounce) can hunts traditional spaghetti sauce (or your favorite tomato-based sauce)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1 medium yellow pepper
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 wedges of the Laughing Cow cheese, light french onion flavor
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Cook noodles in salted, boiling water, about 8 minutes. Be sure to slightly undercook noodles. Drain and set aside.
- 3Make tomato meat sauce: saute chopped onion for 5 minutes; add mushrooms and garlic, saute another 5 minutes. To onion mixture, add crumbled sausage and saute until sausage is no longer pink. Add tomato paste to sausage mixture, saute 1 minute. Add spaghetti sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, basil and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Cook sauce at least 20 minutes.
- 4Roast the pepper medley: Using a broiler, char peppers (jalapenos, poblanos, red and yellow peppers) on all sides, about 5 minutes per side. When skins have blackened, place peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow peppers to steam and cool. When cool enough to handle, remove skins from the peppers (skins should peel off easily with a paper towel or your hands). Remove stems, seed and chop peppers. Mix chopped peppers together in a bowl and set aside.
- 5Prepare cheese layer: In a bowl, combine softened cream cheese, flavored cheese wedges, sour cream, parsley, spinach and 1/2 cup of mozarella cheese. Stir in 1 teaspoon each salt and garlic powder.
- 6In a 9 x 13 inch pan, layer 1/3 of meat sauce, 1/2 of the noodles, all of the peppers and all of the cream cheese mixture. Top with 1/3 of meat sauce, 1/2 of the noodles. Cover the noodles with the remaining 1/3 of meat sauce and the remaining 1 1/2 cups of mozarella cheese. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of grated parmesan.
- 7Bake at 375 for 55 minutes for a very well-done cheesy crust.
- 8Let sit for 10-15 minutes prior to serving. Makes 8-12 servings.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Roasted Peppers Pasta Bake
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 519.8
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 60.2 mg
- Sodium 1583.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 20.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Laughing Cow cheese