1/1 Photo of Sausage and Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash
Sophia's Mom's Note:
I was wanting to try a new recipe, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I created this. So glad, because it's a HUGE hit! Even my picky child and husband love it, and are requesting more! Another fall hit!
My Private Note
1/2 stu ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium acorn squash, halved, and seeds and pulp removed
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup water, plus
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup forbidden rice
- 1/4 cup volcanic rice
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup carrot, chopped
- 3/4 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried sage, to taste
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 11. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I cut a sliver of skin off the middle of the.
- 2back sides of the cut squash to "give it legs" (so that when it's right-side up and stuffed it doesn't roll around). Spray squash with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and roast 30 minutes.
- 32. Meanwhile, bring water to boil. Add pinch of salt and both rice, and stir. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- 43. Preheat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until no longer pink and crumbled. Remove from pan and drain.
- 54. Add olive oil to pan and next 8 ingredients. Saute until tender, 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 65. Combine cooked rice, sausage, and vegetable mix in large bowl. Add cranberries and 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Toss to combine. Add beaten egg and toss until thoroughly coated.
- 76. Stuff cavities of squash with filling and mound on top to use all filling. Cover and bake 30 minutes, until stuffing is almost set. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake uncovered to melt, another 10 minutes.
- 87. Allow to cool and enjoy!
- 9**EDIT**: I did my prep while stuff was cooking, so I just put total time, start to finish (including prepping the squash), under cooking time. And another side note, I have some awesome pictures and having issues downloading them.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash
Serving Size: 1 (433 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 534.7
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 101.0 mg
- Sodium 667.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 18.9 g