Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I was wanting to try a new recipe, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I created this. So glad, because it's a HUGE hit! Even my picky child and husband love it, and are requesting more! Another fall hit!
- 3 medium acorn squash, halved, and seeds and pulp removed
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup water, plus
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup forbidden rice
- 1⁄4 cup volcanic rice
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, to taste
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries, minced
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I cut a sliver of skin off the middle of the.
- back sides of the cut squash to "give it legs" (so that when it's right-side up and stuffed it doesn't roll around). Spray squash with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and roast 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, bring water to boil. Add pinch of salt and both rice, and stir. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- 3. Preheat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until no longer pink and crumbled. Remove from pan and drain.
- 4. Add olive oil to pan and next 8 ingredients. Saute until tender, 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5. Combine cooked rice, sausage, and vegetable mix in large bowl. Add cranberries and 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Toss to combine. Add beaten egg and toss until thoroughly coated.
- 6. Stuff cavities of squash with filling and mound on top to use all filling. Cover and bake 30 minutes, until stuffing is almost set. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake uncovered to melt, another 10 minutes.
- 7. Allow to cool and enjoy!
- **EDIT**: I did my prep while stuff was cooking, so I just put total time, start to finish (including prepping the squash), under cooking time. And another side note, I have some awesome pictures and having issues downloading them.
Delicious! I used Zatarains Dirty Rice Mix instead of the Black/Volcanic rice as I could not locate them in the rice aisle. Thank you Sophia's Mom!
Works for me, great recipe, but the filling quantities are a little high for just two split acorn squashes, I should have made three. I added more garlic too, but that's because I'm Puertorican. :)