Recipe by Karen1961
This is my own concoction. It's a little like jambalaya but those who've had the real thing will know it's not. Hence the name Jamba. If you don't like it spicy, cut back on the seasoning and use sweet italian sausage. Throw a little cooked shrimp in as well.
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hot Italian sausage
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil, add rice and a little salt, reduce to simmer and cover with a lid.
- Simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- This should make 4 to 6 cups of cooked rice.
- Place sausage in a baking pan and cook at 350 degrees for 45- 60 minutes, turning once about half way through.
- Cut into 1/4" hunks.
- In a non-stick frying pan, saute onions in olive oil over medium heat until they start to soften.
- Add peppers and zucchini, and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, garlic and seasoning, stirring often, until vegetables are saucy.
- In a large bowl or dutch oven, combine sauce, rice and sausages.
- Mix well.
- Serve with a tossed or green salad.