Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Memphis cooks. They are the best in the world. I ran into this delicious dish at a church potluck dinner. I had to tackle the person who brought this dish out in the church parking lot. After twisting his/her arm, finally I got the recipe (a bit overstated here)! It is simple, consists of commonly available ingredients. And will be a keeper, I promise!
- 1 lb sausage or 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked white rice (not minute rice)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed chicken noodle soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup water
- Sautee (brown) first four (4) items and then drain.
- In 9x13 casserole dish, put uncooked rice on bottom.
- Put sausage mixture on top.
- Add two (2) soups spreading on top.
- Add water.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
This was very good. Real comfort food. I added a couple bay leaves and a little bit of rosemary. I also used lower salt soups. Instead of chicken noodle, I used cream of chicken. I will be making this again, especially on a cold winter night. Thanks for posting!
This is pretty easy, tasty and versatile. We have enjoyed it several times now.
This was good, but I followed the instructions by putting the rice on the bottom of the dish, and I ended up with crunchy undercooked (or perhaps slightly burnt?) rice. I used plain white rice, just as the recipe calls for. The flavor of the dish was still good, so it's one I'd make again; however, next time I'll definitely just go ahead and mix all the ingredients together in the casserole dish to ensure that the rice receives the proper moisture. I'll also probably use a bit more water than the recipe calls for.