Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
From The Best of Living in South Carolina.-Louise Ellis, Prosperity,SC
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup onion, green
- 3⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 2 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves
- In a shallow 2 qt casserole, place rice. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, saute sausage, stirring to crumble meat. Drain and discard excess fat. In the same skillet, combime celery, onions and green peppers with sausage. Cook until vegetables are tender and onion is transparent. Stir in salt, pepper and broth. Increase heat to high and boil mixture 2 to 3 minutes. Combine mixture with rice. Cover dish with tight fitting lid or heavy duty foil. Bake at 350 degrees until rice absorbs liquids and is tender, about1 hour and 15 minutes.
- To serve, fluff rice with fork and garnish with pecan halves.
This tasted just like the "dirty rice" I grew up on without the giblets :-)! It was so flavorful and will definitely be made many more times. Thank you so much for sharing!
This was a great afternoon lunch. It went together very easy. And the ingredients complemented each other to perfection. I will make this again. Made for NZ/AUS Make my recipe Edt #9