Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an unusual combination, but it is delicious! The pumpkin and peanut butter give it a wonderful flavor. Try it once and it'll be a regular favorite!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage link, skin removed
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sage (I use Bell’s seasoning)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb penne or 1 lb rigatoni pasta, cooked al dente
- grated parmesan cheese
- Add 1 T olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Break up sausage and brown in pan.
- Transfer sausage to a paper-lined plate.
- Drain fat from skillet and return to heat.
- Add 1 T olive oil, and then the onion and garlic.
- Saute 3-4 minutes until onions are tender.
- Add bay leaf, sage, and wine to the skillet.
- Simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, pumpkin, and peanut butter, and stir to combine.
- When mixture starts to bubble, add sausage, and stir in cream.
- Add remaining seasoning to sauce.
- Drain cooked pasta and add to sauce, combine, heat for 1 minute.
- Serve pasta and sauce with grated cheese.
This made for a very tasty dish! Simple and elegant. We replaced the chicken stock with vegetable stock and the sauage with Boca Itallian sausages - sliced and browned.