Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was given to me by a coworker and she said it was quite possibly the best soup she had ever eaten. I made the soup today and indeed it is very tasty! With cold weather approaching (someday), this will be quite the comfort food. I did halve the recipe since there is only two of us, because a whole recipe makes a large pot of soup. It is quite easy to make! I may use more hot sausage next time. A whole recipe makes about 16 cups of soup.
- 1 (1 lb) package sausage (I used Jimmy Dean)
- 1 (1 lb) package hot sausage (I used Jimmy Dean)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of celery soup
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) bag frozen southern style hash brown potatoes
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can milk, to thin
- Fry sausage and onion together, do not drain.
- Put the sausage and onion in a large sauce pan.
- Add all of the other ingredients and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are tender as you would like.
- Add 1 tablespoons of black pepper and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Thin with milk.
Tasty and easy to make. It's a very rich and thick soup. DH thought it was sausage gravy when he first saw it. (we like thick soup!) made as directed, but I did add some celery seed (a must have in potato soup) Looking forward to left overs tomorrow night!
Enjoyed this soup so much. Super easy to make with ingredients I always have in the pantry/fridge. I used low-fat versions of the creamed soup and it still had great flavor and texture. I loved the little bite of heat from the hot sausage. I made the full amount and my family of six pretty much nailed it. Very filling and comforting on a bitter cold day. Thanks for the recipe.
Me and my family absolutely LOVED this soup. It is easy to make and it is a great thick and hearty soup for the winter. Easy to make with 0 leftovers. Thank you so much for sharing such a great recipe.