Recipe by ellie_
I came across this recipe while looking for supper hearty sandwich ideas. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (November 1983)
Top Review by PaulaG
This recipe makes a wonderful and hearty sandwich. The directions were perfect and it scales nicely to serve 2. After cutting the rolls, I placed the cheese in the bottom and broiled them for a few minutes. This provided a nice drip resistant barrier for the sausage and peppers. After filling, I topped them off with some freshly grated parmesan. Definitely a keeper!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices (or use both sweet and hot sausages)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 large green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces (or use 1 red and 1 green)
- 2 onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 6 crusty French rolls, halved horizonally
- 1⁄2 lb sliced provolone cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until brown (10 minutes). Reduce heat to low and add water, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add peppers, onions and oregano to skillet and saute until tender (10 minutes). Pour off liquid.
- Spoon sausage mixture into rolls, topping off with a few slices of cheese.
- If desired, can be heated under broiler so cheese melts.