Recipe by Liz Beginner Cook
I developed this recipe from a series of copycat recipes I've used modeled after Olive Garden's recipe of the same name. It is DELICIOUS!! Everybody I have ever fed it to loves it, and in the unlikely event of leftovers, they are just as good the next day! Hope somebody out there sees this and uses it... one of my favorites!
Top Review by kim
Loved this recipe Liz. I didn't have spicy Italian sausage. Used mild Italian sausage. The jarred marinara sauce I used tasted too sweet, so I added garlic, oregano and some basil. I will try this again with some homemade marinara and the spicy sausage. This recipe makes a lot, but the leftovers are already gone. The whole family really loved this and asked me to make again soon. Thanks for posting Liz.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage link (I prefer Premio's brand, or Cifelli's)
- 1 (16 ounce) box penne pasta
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 2 (24 ounce) jars marinara sauce, the plainer the better
- 1 cup pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausages over Medium Heat in lightly oiled large frying pan. Once sausages are browned, cut into discs and cook each side until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cut up the peppers and onion, julienne style. Add to cooked sausages in the pan.
- Lightly salt this mixture, continue cooking over Medium heat until vegetables are softened.
- Add marinara sauce, cover and cook for at least twenty minutes on Low. For best results, cook on low for a few hours, stirring occasionally (this incorporates all the flavors of the sausage and peppers into the sauce).
- Meanwhile, cook penne pasta al dente. Drain, add to sauce mixture.
- Add mozzarella and parmesan cheese, mix thoroughly and serve.
- ** This will be a very saucy mixture, I like that for dipping bread! If you prefer less sauce, use about 36 oz sauce, or pour out some sauce prior to adding the pasta in the final step -- it will be a delicious snack at some point! **.