Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I developed this recipe when my husbands favorite dish at a local italian restaurant was no longer on the menu. Try this dish, it's delicious! (You can use your favorite store bought sauce or make your own). Prep time includes boiling the sausages and allowing them to cool slightly. Let me know what you think!
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage (hot or sweet, in casing)
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, I use Ragu with mushrooms, but choose your own favorite
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen peppers and onions, I use Birds Eye brand and its a mixture of green, red and yellow peppers and onions
- Boil sausages in water until cooked through, approximately 25-30 minutes. Drain and cool slightly until easy to handle.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet with deep sides, heat olive oil.
- Cut sausages into about 1/2 inch rings and place in skillet to lightly brown.
- When the sausages are browned to your liking, add in the bag of frozen peppers and onions (no need to thaw ahead). Cook and stir until peppers are thawed and heated through (there will be liquid, this is ok).
- Add in the spaghetti sauce and cook until heated through and peppers and onions are tender.
- Add pasta and toss to coat.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
At our Olive Garden this recipe is no longer on the menu, but they will make it for you if you ask.
I substituted BOCA meatless Italian Sausages to cut down significantly on fat content, and it turned out fantastic. I even got enough leftovers for a few days worth of work lunches. Great, great recipe and now one of my favorites.