1 hr 5 mins
I developed this recipe when my husbands favorite dish at a local italian restaurant was no longer on the menu. Try this dish, it's delicious! (You can use your favorite store bought sauce or make your own). Prep time includes boiling the sausages and allowing them to cool slightly. Let me know what you think!
My Private Note
pound p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage (hot or sweet, in casing)
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, I use Ragu with mushrooms, but choose your own favorite
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen peppers and onions, I use Birds Eye brand and its a mixture of green, red and yellow peppers and onions
- 1Boil sausages in water until cooked through, approximately 25-30 minutes. Drain and cool slightly until easy to handle.
- 2Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- 3In a large skillet with deep sides, heat olive oil.
- 4Cut sausages into about 1/2 inch rings and place in skillet to lightly brown.
- 5When the sausages are browned to your liking, add in the bag of frozen peppers and onions (no need to thaw ahead). Cook and stir until peppers are thawed and heated through (there will be liquid, this is ok).
- 6Add in the spaghetti sauce and cook until heated through and peppers and onions are tender.
- 7Add pasta and toss to coat.
- 8Serve with grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Peppers Rustica
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1001.3
- Calories from Fat 402
- Total Fat 44.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 64.6 mg
- Sodium 2311.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 34.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen peppers and onions