Recipe by Super San Mateo Chefs
This is a great, tasty big calzone! I used one can of Pillsbury pizza dough (about 13.5 ounces) which is a great way to make this calzone quickly. I made one large calzone which was divided to serve two people.
Top Review by tara portee
Awesome. I only used half of the mozzarella cheese (trying to reduce calories a bit) and I divided the dough to make several smaller pies. I used cottage cheese instead of ricotta (just a personal preference) I was wild about the filling; I think it was the creaminess added by the cottage cheese. My husband even said twice how good this was, and that does not happen very often! This is absolutely a keeper.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sausage, ground
- 1 lb pizza dough, thawed
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, drained well
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup pepperoni slice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated, to taste
- 2 cups marinara sauce, to dip, heated
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven and pizza stone (if available) to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large grill plan, cook sausage until browned. Drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, garlic, seasonings, pepperoni and cooked sausage. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Roll dough out to a 15" circle on a pizza paddle or baking sheet that has been lightly dusted with cornmeal. It doesn't have to be a perfect circle.
- Spread meat and cheese filling over 1 side of the dough. Leave at least 1-inch of the edge without filling to ensure a tight seal.
- Lift 1 side of dough and fold over so that it meets the other side, forming a half moon, and pinch the edges together to seal, using a fork to press edges together. Remove any excess dough which isn't needed for the seal.
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle some parmesan cheese over top.
- Cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to release.
- Transfer calzone from pizza pad to pizza stone in oven.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, until puffed up golden brown.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Heat the marinara sauce in the microwave for dipping.