1/1 Photo of Sausage and Pepperoni Cheese Stuffed Calzone
Super San Mateo Chefs's Note:
This is a great, tasty big calzone! I used one can of Pillsbury pizza dough (about 13.5 ounces) which is a great way to make this calzone quickly. I made one large calzone which was divided to serve two people.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups sausage, ground
- 1 lb pizza dough, thawed
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, drained well
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup pepperoni slice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated, to taste
- 2 cups marinara sauce, to dip, heated
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat oven and pizza stone (if available) to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2In a large grill plan, cook sausage until browned. Drain.
- 3In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, garlic, seasonings, pepperoni and cooked sausage. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- 4Roll dough out to a 15" circle on a pizza paddle or baking sheet that has been lightly dusted with cornmeal. It doesn't have to be a perfect circle.
- 5Spread meat and cheese filling over 1 side of the dough. Leave at least 1-inch of the edge without filling to ensure a tight seal.
- 6Lift 1 side of dough and fold over so that it meets the other side, forming a half moon, and pinch the edges together to seal, using a fork to press edges together. Remove any excess dough which isn't needed for the seal.
- 7Brush with olive oil and sprinkle some parmesan cheese over top.
- 8Cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to release.
- 9Transfer calzone from pizza pad to pizza stone in oven.
- 10Bake 10-15 minutes, until puffed up golden brown.
- 11Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- 12Heat the marinara sauce in the microwave for dipping.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Pepperoni Cheese Stuffed Calzone
Serving Size: 1 (465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1207.7
- Calories from Fat 841
- Total Fat 93.4 g
- Saturated Fat 38.8 g
- Cholesterol 231.4 mg
- Sodium 3236.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 62.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: