Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is from March 1990 Bon Appetit. I frequently make this easy meal and we have the leftovers for lunch the next day. It's a household favorite. I highly recommend using hot sausage rather than mild if you don't mind a little spice. Please be aware that the tomatoes do not make a tomato sauce.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hot Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, juices reserved
- 1 tablespoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb penne pasta, freshly cooked
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until golden, about 1 minute. Mix in sausage and cook until brown, about 8 minutes. Add peppers and onion and cook until almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Mix in tomatoes with juices, basil and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 8 minutes. Uncover and cook 2 minutes. Pour over pasta and toss. Serve, passing Parmesan separately.