Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found in Quick & Simple Magazine. The total cost of this dish is under $1.00 per serving.
Make and share this Sausage-And-Pepper Baked Ziti recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian sausage or 1 1⁄2 lbs hot Italian sausage links, cut crosswise into 1-inch chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes in puree
- 15 ounces tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces ziti pasta
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese
- In a deep nonstick 12" skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 5 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium. Discard all but 2 T sausage fat. Add garlic, pepper and onion to sausage in skillet; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 10 minute Stir in whole tomatoes, tomato puree and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minute.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta 2 min less than cooking time recommended on label.
- Drain pasta and return to pot; stir in sausage mixture to coat. Add mozzarella and toss to combine. Transfer pasta mixture to an ungreased 9x13" baking dish and spread it out evenly; sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until top browns and sauce is bubbling, 20 to 25 minute Let stand 10 min before serving.
This was a very tasty, simple recipe. I made some subtle changes - small green pepper and added a small red bell pepper, and used minced bottled garlic instead of sliced fresh. I also used a small amount of red wine to deglaze the pan after I cooked the sausage. The kids ate it up - minus the peppers - and the adults kept going for more. I'll definitely keep this one around ! Thanks for posting.