Recipe by HopeMarie
This is great. It is my own creation because I don't care for traditonal thanksgiving stuffing. I have been making it for about 5 or 6 years now. I've served it every Thanksgiving to large groups of people and everyone loves it! Even my brother-in-law who doesn't like pecans. It tastes great reheated for breakfast or lunch I've even used it to stuff the turkey!!
- 1 lb hot breakfast sausage
- 2 boxes chicken rice pilaf mix
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped very fine
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon real maple syrup
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble sausage brown over medium high heat until no longer pink inside.
- Drain saving 2 Tablespoons of drippings and all of the brown bits.
- Set sausage aside.
- To drippings add chopped onion saute for about a minute.
- Add pecans and saute for about 1 minute more.
- Add half of the maple syrup and half of the apple juice.
- Cook until reduce stirring often to keep from buning.
- Set aside.
- In same dish cook rice according to package instuctions.
- After rice is done chop sausage VERY fine and stir sausage,pecans,onion,apple juice and maple syrup into rice.
- Cook until all of liquid is gone stirring often to prevent burning.
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper if desired.