1 hr 15 mins
If you can, plan to make this Strata the night before you're going to serve it. It is even more flavorful when chilled overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 slices bread, crusts removed (I prefer sour dough, but any bread will do)
- 1/2 lb pork sausage, crumbled, cooked, drained
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly gound
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1Heat 3 T. of the butter in a fry pan; add the mushrooms and saute' for 3 - 4 minutes or just until the juices begin to ooze out.
- 2Cut bread into half-inch cubes. Sprinkle half of the cubes in the bottom of a buttered 8 - 9 inch square pan.
- 3Distribute sauteed mushrooms over bread cubes. Top with the cooked sausage.
- 4Add remaining 1 T. butter to fry pan. Saute' onions and celery until tender, about 3 - 4 minutes. Sprinkle over mushrooms and sausage.
- 5Top with second half of bread cubes.
- 6Mix mayonnaise, salt, pepper and tarragon (if using), eggs and milk. Pour over mixture in pan. Press down with a spoon to soak entire mixture with egg-milk mixture.
- 7Sprinkle with cheese.
- 8Cover and refrigerate 2 hours but preferably overnight.
- 9Bake in a 325 degree oven for 55 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
- 10Omit the sausage for a very good vegetarian option.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Mushroom Strata
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 701.5
- Calories from Fat 467
- Total Fat 51.9 g
- Saturated Fat 22.1 g
- Cholesterol 222.9 mg
- Sodium 1742.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 26.0 g