Recipe by CaribbeanQueen
If you can, plan to make this Strata the night before you're going to serve it. It is even more flavorful when chilled overnight.
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 slices bread, crusts removed (I prefer sour dough, but any bread will do)
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage, crumbled, cooked, drained
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly gound
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 T. of the butter in a fry pan; add the mushrooms and saute' for 3 - 4 minutes or just until the juices begin to ooze out.
- Cut bread into half-inch cubes. Sprinkle half of the cubes in the bottom of a buttered 8 - 9 inch square pan.
- Distribute sauteed mushrooms over bread cubes. Top with the cooked sausage.
- Add remaining 1 T. butter to fry pan. Saute' onions and celery until tender, about 3 - 4 minutes. Sprinkle over mushrooms and sausage.
- Top with second half of bread cubes.
- Mix mayonnaise, salt, pepper and tarragon (if using), eggs and milk. Pour over mixture in pan. Press down with a spoon to soak entire mixture with egg-milk mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours but preferably overnight.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 55 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
- Omit the sausage for a very good vegetarian option.