Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Creamy, hearty meal. Side with a simple salad.
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth, reduced sodium (you may not need all of it)
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, casings removed (I use hot variety)
- 1⁄2 lb baby bella mushroom, quartered
- 1⁄4 onion, minced
- herbs, your choice (I even like plain without, but rosemary, thyme for example are good)
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In a small saucepan simmer broth.
- Use medium pot. On medium heat add olive oil to heat; brown meat while breaking up sausage, add onions. When about half way done add mushrooms and saute until soft. Stir in risotto.
- Add one ladle full of broth. Stir. Add herbs if using. Reduce heat to simmer. As risotto absorbs broth continue adding one ladle full at a time while stirring. This should take about 35-45 minutes. When a creamy consistency is reached and risotto is cooked (taste), remove from heat. Stir in cheese.
What a great risotto! This was a great meal and easy to do by just adding a salad for greens. I liked the fact that it came together very easily. Made for 1-2-3 Tag.
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap #55* Very tasty combination of flavors! Used all the ingredients listed, but did the prep in the manner I always do risotto -- sauteed onions, toasted the rice, and gradually added the warm broth as well as 1/2 cup white wine and 1 Tbsp of Greek seasoning. After browning the sausage and adding 'shrooms, layered them in glass bowl. Served with slices of red/ripe garden tomatoes on a bed of spring lettuce. Made 2 nice meals for the 2 of us Thanks for posting, Vicki.
Lovely risotto! We really enjoyed the flavours and how they blended together. I used an "Athenian" blend of herbs and this worked brilliantly as the main herb was oregano. Wonderful dish we'll be repeating!