Recipe by WiGal
I like the idea that they can be made ahead, covered, and chilled. Or they can be baked and then frozen making it handy for busy people. Serve with warmed pizza sauce.
Top Review by bigbadbrenda
This was very good. I had a mixture of Italian Sauage and hamburger, mushrooms and onions. I couldnt get them to seal but that was fine. I forgot to prick them but since they were not sealed it didnt mater. Made for ZWT4 the Chic Chefs
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, skin removed
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom, fresh and chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons roasted red peppers, diced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, finely shredded plus more for garnish
- 2 (13 7/8 ounce) packages pizza dough, from refrigerator case
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium skillet, cook sausage, onion, and mushrooms until sausage is brown, drain off fat, cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese, roasted red pepper, salt, black pepper, basil, and the 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Stir sausage mixture into cheese mixture.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray two large baking sheets with cooking spray; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll each package of the pizza dough.
- If necessary gently stretch each dough piece into a 12 X 9 inch rectangle.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each rectangle into twelve 3-inch squares.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of the sausage/cheese mixture in the center of each square.
- Fold dough over filling, forming triangles.
- Press edges of triangles with tines of a fork to seal.
- Place triangles on prepared baking sheets.
- Prick tops with a fork.
- In a small bowl, beat together egg and the water; brush on triangles.
- Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese.
- Bake about 12 minutes or until pockets are golden.
- Serve warm with pizza sauce.
- Make ahead tips: Prepare as directed through step 13. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; chill up to 4 hours. Proceed with step 14 and bake as directed. (OR if freezing, prepare as directed. Place baked pockets in freezer containers. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange frozen pockets on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until heated through.).