Chef Penn State's Note:
"The mustard cream sauce goes really well with the meaty sausages. Pasta shapes such as penne, conchigliette, fusilli or other shapes that hold sauces well will suit this dish. A scatter of fresh herbs such as basil or chives lifts the cream sauce a little." I found this on www.soyandpepper.com. Sounds delicious and filling for a nice winter meal, but I have yet to try it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces penne pasta, 2 portions (or other pasta shapes)
- 4 sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 -3 stalks spring onions, sliced into 1 inch sections
- 4 -5 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 200 ml single cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves (optional)
- 1Squeeze the sausage meat out of their casings and shape into small meatballs. Heat some oil in a heavy based pan and brown the meatballs all over until just cooked. (Another method, which is what I have done, is to cook the whole sausages on the grill or fry them in a pan until cooked, and then slice them up.) Set aside.
- 2Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling water until al dente, according to packet instructions.
- 3While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large heavy based pan and add the garlic and spring onions and cook over medium heat for a minute.
- 4Add the mushrooms and sautee till cooked.
- 5Add the sausages, mustard and cream and simmer until the sauce is reduced. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6When the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the mustard cream sauce. Mix well.
- 7Stir in the parmesan cheese if using.
- 8Dish up onto plates, scatter over basil leaves and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Mushroom Penne in Mustard Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (539 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1212.7
- Calories from Fat 528
- Total Fat 58.7 g
- Saturated Fat 22.8 g
- Cholesterol 144.0 mg
- Sodium 1341.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 141.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 33.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coarse grain mustard