Recipe by Ginger's Place
Absolutely the best lasagna I have ever had. Whenever I am cooking for some one new, I start with this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (8 ounce) packagesbaby bella mixed mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 cup dry red wine (have successfully substituted water)
- 2 (26 ounce) jars marinara sauce (I use Newman's Own)
- 2 (9 ounce) packages no-boil lasagna noodles (huge time saver)
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 (8 ounce) bags Italian cheese blend
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil in large pot. Add mushrooms, onion, and seasoning blend; saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 6 minutes.
- Add sausage and saute until brown and cook through, breaking up with back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add wine; cook until almost all liquid evaporates, scraping up brown bits, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Spread 2/3 cup marinara over bottom of a 13x9x2 baking dish. Spread a layer of noodles over sauce. Spread 1 cup of sauce over noodles.
- Top with 1/3 cup ricotta, then 1 cup grated Italian cheese.
- Spoon 1/3 of sausage mixture over cheese layer.
- Repeat two more times. Sauce, noodles, ricotta, cheese, sausage.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 45 minutes; remove foil and bake until top browns (broiler works well too). Let stand for 15 minutes.Freezes well.