Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my favorite breakfast casseroles. When I get to play bed and breakfast, I always try to make simple but fancy stuff for my guests. This is one of those in my arsenal.
- 1 lb sausage
- 1⁄2 cup colby cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 6 slices toast
- 9 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown and drain the sausage. Combine sausage and remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Line the bottom of a 9x13 pan with the toast. Pour the meat and egg mixture over the toast.
- Bake 1 hour uncovered.
I had a chance to play bed and breakfast for family lately. I pampered them with this recipe. We really enjoyed the combination of sausage and mushrooms. We also liked the bread toasted because it added new depth of flavor. I had an interesting experience - my toast floated to the top while this cooked so it tasted almost like french toast on top of an omelet. The instructions don't say to, but I think next time I will let the egg soak into the toast over night like so many breakfast casseroles do just because I like the taste of the bread incorporated into the casserole. Thanks for a delicious recipe.